On Friday 13th of April, 2018, I gave a presentation at the KW RASC on Medieval Islamic Astronomy and its influence on Renaissance Europe.
- Arab pre-Islamic Folk Astronomy, including Asterisms, and 'Anwaa'
- Origins of Islamic Science, including astronomy.
- Instruments used by Islamic astronomers, and how they improved them, including the astrolabe, quadrant, and others.
- Observatories, and how they played a role in better observations.
- Prominent Islamic Astronomers, and new things they discovered.
- Doubts On Ptolmey's geocentric model.
- The Copernican Connection.
- How Arab measurement of the earth's circumference influenced Columbus discovery of the New World.
- Sidereal clock still used today for timing of irrigation!
- Arabic terms used today in math and astronomy.
- The Decline, and why it happened.
Here is the presentation slides, and audio recording:
- The presentation slides, in PDF format (33 MB)
- The audio recording in MP3 zipped format (~ 73MB) of the talk.
Hope you find it informative ...
Most commented on articles ...