An analysis on the BBC lists the bitter options facing the Bush administration as on what to do with the Iraq quagmire.
- There are four distinct wars in Iraq:
- Islamist jihadists against the USA
- Nationalist militants against the USA
- Shia militants against Sunnis
- Sunni militants against Shia
- The options so are are:
- Withdraw. This will only cause the violence to escalate, and perhaps a full scale civil ware.
- Increase the troops in Iraq. Public support may be limited and Congress may not approve the budget.
- Threaten to leave, in order to pressure the Iraqi government. That may not work, and the insurgents will see it as a victory.
- Negotiate with the insurgents. Unlikely.
- Divide Iraq into 3 autonomous states. This will cause all the conspiracy theorists who said this will happen be proven right.
- Continue what is being done today. Seems not to have worked, so why would it work in the future.
Read the details on the BBC.