This page lists some successful digital archeology "digs" or "excavations", where old software or hardware, or both were revived
- Multics is a really old operating system from 1965, and considered a predecessor of UNIX, and therefore Linux as well. Strangely, the last production machine running Multics was shut down in October 2000. It is no simple feat for an operating system to live for 45 years! It is considered a predecessor to UNIX. This web site keeps a lot of Multics information and history alive.
Old UNIX Versions
- List of recovered UNIX operating system versions, complete or partial, on really old hardware can be found at this page at the UNIX Heritage Society.
- Some recovered tapes from University of New South Wales, School of Computer Science
- Stuff from 1972 UNIX recovered from DECTapes.
- Dennis Ritchie plugin to read the DECTapes from 1972
Other Operating Systems
- Bob Supnik's paper on Unearthing the PDP-15's Operating System.