I tried out the Kobo Arc 10HD for a few days, because it went on sale for $199.99, down by $100 from the regular price.
As I write this, the price is down $20 further, to $179.99 at BestBuy.
Here is a quick review of the pros and cons. Note that I am not evaluating as an eReader, but rather as a regular tablet.
- An excellent screen! The resolution is very high (2560 x 1600 pixels), and the screen is bright and vibrant.
- It is Really fast, specially when you install the Nova Launcher.
- Great battery life. It was down to 60% only over 3 days and 2 hours of standby.
- The power switch is conveniently placed on the top edge, on the right (in landscape mode), and provides predictable feedback. It is better than buttons on the side near the top like my Acer A500 tablet.
- The same goes for the volume buttons: they are on the right edge near the top (landscape mode), and therefore more convenient than when they are on top, like the Acer.
- It has no back camera. The low quality front camera is the only one. Suitable for Skype and Hangouts, but not much else. You can't take pictures conveniently with this tablet.
- It does not have a microSD card slot. Therefore, the internal 16GB storage is all you have.
- It takes a long time to charge via the microUSB cable. I did not try the charger that came in the box, but rather used the one I use for my phone.
- When connecting headphones, the music cut out every 10 or 15 seconds.
For the price vs. features, it is good value. But with crucial pieces missing, I had to return it.