An interesting observation about the local race for federal representation in the local riding: none of the candidates for the mainstream parties are Canadian born!
Liberal candidate Andrew Telegdi, a career politician, and the current incumbent was born in Hungary.
Conservative candidate Ajmer S. Mandur is an India-born Sikh who came to Canada as a teenager. He owns two small businesses
NDP candidate Edwin Laryea is from Ghana. He worked as a teacher, and is a newcomer to politics.
Of course there are other small players who have no parliament presence so far, such as the Green Party, who is represented by candidate Pauline Richards (born in England as well). The religious Christian Heritage Party did not field a candidate locally. The only Canadian born candidate in the riding is Julian Ichim, running for the Communist Party of Canada (Marxist-Leninist).
- Andrew Telegdi: Liberal candidate and incumbent. See his Wikipedia page.
- Ajmer Mandur: Conservative candidate. He also has a Wikipedia page.
- Edwin Laryea: NDP Candidate (note that the site runs Drupal).
- Kitchener-Waterloo Election results for 1997, 2000, and 2004.
- The Record article on the political race in Waterloo Region.
- The Green Party of Canada.
- Julian Ichim's biography.
- Christian Heritage Party.