Library - The Famous Library of Alexandria is now being rebuilt on what is believed to be the original site of this great source of knowledge. This web site has a brief section on Alexandria Library, but not in detail.
- The BBC reports that a joint Egyptian-Polish team believes that they have discovered the ancient Library of Alexandria, including ancient lecture halls or auditora, in the Brucheion region of the ancient city.
- The original library was most probably burned during the Roman attack of the city. The story of the Arabs burning the library is inaccurate and discredited by most historians.
- There was another daughter library at Pompey's pillar (which was not built by Pompey by the way). This one survived for 4 more centuries, but was plundered by Christian fanatic mobs. The same mob dragged the philosopher/mathematician/priestess Hypatia.
- Some information on the Alexandria Library (Egyptian State Information) from the Egyptian State Information.
- Article on The
- A collection of Alexandrian Scholarship papers.
- Al Ahram article by Samir Sadek titled The Mouseion revisited.
A modern library of Alexandria has been build, close to the supposed site of the old one.
- Web site of The Bibliotheca
Alexandrina, which is a modern library renamed after its
mohamed moustafa (not verified)
hiTue, 2008/07/22 - 18:33
it's a wonderful homepage.i still haven't the all,but i hope that i can have and download a lot of books from this site about my studying.i'm a student in the Faculity of Engineering(Alexandria University).if there is what i search for,plz tell me where and how can i download it?thanks everybody:)
Fady Zaki (not verified)
Photo Gallery of the walls of Bibliotheca AlexandrinaThu, 2008/12/11 - 10:38
Thank you for your informative article about the Library of Alexandria.
Please, view my site that contains a full gallery of photos, for the first time, displaying all the exterior walls of Bibliotheca Alexandrina: http://colorsontrial.com/bibalexwalls/