These are items that are used as a preamble for a big meal, or as treats and snacks at some other time.
- Mekhalel / Torshi - Pickles The Egyptian word Mekhalel مخلل means 'Pickled', and the origin lies in خل which is vinegar. The Torshi word is borrowed from Turkish. The following things are used for pickles in Egypt:
- Turnips لفت
- Chilli Peppers
- Gebnah Roomi / Gebnah Torki جبنة رومي، جبنة تركي Roman Cheese / Turkish Cheese. This is probably a local variation on "Parmigiano-Reggiano", from Parma, Italy.
- Gebnah Areesh جبنة قريش White Cheese, home made by farmers, drained in straw matts, and has very low salt content
- Mesh مشThis is Gebnah Areesh but aged for years, with hot Chilli pepper added.
- Mortah مورطة After boiling the home made Zebdah Baladi زبدة بلدي to make Samnah Baladi سمنة بلدي, the residue left is Mortah, used as an appetizer.
- Feseekh فسيخ - Putrid Mullet fish This is dried then salted grey mullet fish. Check this page dedicated to this Egyptian speciality.
- Batarekh بطارخ - Salted and Dried Fish Roe This is the Egyptian Caviar. Check this page dedicated to this Egyptian delicacy.
- Sardeen Memalla7 سردين مملح - Salted Sardines Salted Sardines
- Bastermah (or Basterma) بسطرمة - similar to Pastrami This is borrowed from the Turks. It is beef that is dried and salted, and coated with a paste made from a mix fenugreek (helba حلبة), garlic, and paprika, and salt. It is then left in the air and sun to dry. Used in breakfast, with eggs, and as a snack.
- Sogo2 ba2alli سجق بقالي Dried Sausage
Reda El-Maestro (not verified)
it gives me a great feel ofFri, 2009/06/26 - 23:25
it gives me a great feel of happiness to read this exciting information. Thank u very much.
violee montenegro (not verified)
egyptian cuisineMon, 2011/02/07 - 04:06
i love to try it all...............